Sunday, September 21, 2014

"The Case Against High School Sports" article response

In the article, “The Case Against High-School Sports” by Amanda Ripley, I found the article very interesting, but I strongly disagree with the supported topic. To begin, I believe that high school sports have a positive influence on students. Getting an education is very important, but some of the most valuable lessons in life are taught to us outside of school. For example, in school we do some group work but not enough to really learn how to deal with people and work as a team. I think these skills are as important as a high level education. If you are very smart but can’t associate with others then you will only get so far in life, and you most likely won’t be the happiest and most positive person alive. Don’t get me wrong, an education is a big part of being successful.

To add to that I think Amanda Ripley made some very good points in the article. She mentioned many times that the amount of money spent on sports compared to money spent on the school was an unbelievable ratio. For instance, she found that a “school was spending $328 a student for math instruction and more than four times that much for cheerleading: $1,348 a cheerleader.” This is outrageous in my eyes. I am aware math does not cost that much money but for the amount of money you are spending on cheerleading you put it towards buying an ipad for everyone in the school. Now this sounds impossible but I think doing this is very possible and very effetive. If you took half the money you pay for one sport then you already have enough money for three or four classes worth of ipads in the school system. Therefore, her points here make a strong argument but I still disagree immensely.

           My last point is from a high school athlete himself: me. I personally love high school sports. I was playing high school hockey before I was even in high school. After the one season as an 8th grader, I felt better than everyone else more mature because I experienced something no one else had experienced. I think it had a very positive influence on me. It motivated me to do good in school and work hard. A former Tennessee principal said, "If I could wave a magic wand, I'd have more athletic opportunities for  students, not less. I've seen truancy issues completely turned around once students begin playing sports. When students have a sense of belonging, when they feel tied to the school, they feel more part of the process." I believe that statement summarizes high school sports perfectly. I felt like I was already part of the school before I even started because of the hockey team. 

             The reasons above are why I disagree with the article and I think high school sports are great for all high schools.

2 comments:

  1. Good points, but make sure to put your thesis at the beginning. I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! You made some really good points and the essay as a whole was well thought out.

    ReplyDelete